Thursday, February 26, 2009

Dangerous Texting Involving Wake County, NC Middle School Students

Did anyone read this story in the Cary News? It involved Salem Middle students but did NOT happen on school property.

How about this one? This concerns a 14-year-old girl in Wisconsin.

Texting offenses range from a group of 6th grade boys new to cell phone technology texting "HI" to each other 4 times in a row, to indecent messages containing even more indecent photos! Scary world, but one we all must deal with sooner or later. Having two boys and a girl, I'm not quite sure how to handle this if it becomes an issue for my family. Anyone have any ideas or advice they can share on this?

While I did not explain the details of the texting offense at Salem Middle to my son, I did tell him I read an article involving the Salem Middle students' use of their cell phones and that the school had to get involved. I also explained to him that if he abused his cell phone privileges he would most certainly lose his phone. So I think this can be used as a teaching opportunity for those of us who have allowed their children the use of a cell phone.

This also opens up the question of whether providing a middle schooler with a cell phone is a good idea. I certainly respect those parents who have chosen not to provide their middle schooler with a cell phone. However, our society is not as safe as it was when our generation was in middle school. It appears middle and high school crime is on the rise. (See http://www.newsobserver.com/138/story/1415646.html and http://www.newsobserver.com/news/orange/story/1344743.html for just two local examples.) That was the main reason my husband and I provided our son with a cell phone. We also feel this is a good way to encourage and teach responsibility.

I hope parents who have provided their children with cell phones are taking the time to educate their children about how to use their cell phones responsibly. It appears some are not.

No comments:

Post a Comment